This copycat recipe for Applebees Chicken Wonton Tacos has zesty stir fried chicken stuffed in crispy wonton shells and topped with crunchy slaw and cilantro.
These are just like the chicken wonton taco’s from Applebee’s appetizer menu. These tacos consist of stir fried chicken, coleslaw, red onion, green onion, and cilantro. The best part about these tacos is the chicken.
The chicken is marinated and stir fried in a teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, stir fry sauce, and sesame dressing mixture. This combination goes together extremely well. The coleslaw is tossed with additional sesame dressing.
The hardest part about this recipe is cooking the wonton wrappers. It can be a little tricky and it is something you will want to do last. Watch our easy how-to videos to get some tips on making the wonton wrappers a couple of different ways.
Applebees Chicken Wonton Tacos recipe how-to video
Applebees Chicken Wonton Tacos copycat recipe
1lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (sliced into small chunks)
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons stir fry sauce
8 tablespoons Asian toasted sesame dressing
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
1 cup coleslaw mix
2 tablespoons Asian toasted sesame dressing
10 wonton wrappers
oil (for frying)
4 tablespoons green onions (sliced)
4 tablespoons cilantro (chopped)
4 tablespoons red onion (diced)
1. Heat 1/2 cup oil in Dutch oven or high sided skillet (you need about 1/2″ on the bottom)
2. When oil is hot fry wonton squares, getting this right can be a little tricky. Your goal is to get them in the basic shape of a taco. What I did was fry one side for about 10 seconds or until it just barley turned light brown, then I flipped over and browned the other side for about 5 seconds and used my tongs to fold corner to corner but make sure to leave a nice opening. Hard to describe but basically you just have to do what works for you!
3. Place “tacos” on plate covered with paper towels to drip, set aside.
4. Now its time to make the sauce, toss the following together: Stir Fry Sauce, 6 Tbs Asian dressing, Soy Sauce and Teriaki Sauce, add chicken. I put it all in a tupper ware container and shook it to coat.
5. Heat 2 tbs oil in wock or large skillet, let it get good and hot.
6. Add chicken and sauce to wock and quickly cook, stiring the entire time. Make sure the chicken cooks through, should only take a couple minutes.
7. Whisk together mayo, sugar and remaining dressing. Add coleslaw, sliced onions and 1/2 lime juice. Toss to coat.
8. Fill shells 1/3rd way with chicken, top with coleslaw and cilantro. Add additional lime juice if desired. Top with Red onion if desired
Applebees Chicken Wonton Tacos – dressing and sauce
If you feel ambitious and wish to make your own fresh dressing and sauce, try this simple concoction
3 tbs rice vinegar
1 tbs soy sauce
2 tbs sesame oil
1 tbs veggie oil
1/3 cup water
dash of sugar, maybe 1 tsp
Stir Fry Sauce:
1 teaspoon corn starch
1.5 tsp brown sugar
1/8 tsp cayanne pepper
1 tbs + 1tsp corn syrup
1 tbs + 1tsp soy sauce
1 tbs rice wine vinegar
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp grated fresh ginger
Add it all to sauce pan and simmer for 1 minute or heat in microwave for 1 minute.